- Are there examples of how to use the features in FaveBusiness?
The FaveBusiness theme includes a sample-data.wxr file full of populated Carrington Build WordPress pages, posts and news items that you can import into your WordPress installation (or into a test installation). The WXR format is the standard WordPress import/export format and can be imported from the Tools/ Import page of your WordPress admin.
Make sure that you have the FaveBusiness theme installed and activated to see all of the Carrington Build pages and custom news post types. After the import, you’ll also need to set your home page and posts page as noted in the documentation.
- Is Carrington Build a plugin or a theme?
Carrington Build isn’t a traditional WordPress product (a single theme or plugin). It is probably best thought of as the foundation or feature of a theme (for example, a component of our Carrington Business theme) because the best results will be seen with tightly integrated CSS and theme styling.
- What is the Carrington Build Pricing Structure?
We spent quite a bit of time thinking about how best to deliver Carrington Build to the community, and we settled on the following packages to satisfy the following general target audiences:
- FaveBusiness theme (for End Users) = $149 This is for bloggers, companies running business sites on WordPress, hobbiests, developers that want to implement for their personal sites, etc. – most people fall into this category. The FaveBusiness theme is a fantastic theme that works right out of the box for business sites, and includes Carrington Build to create rich, flexible pages. It supports child themes (it actually includes an example child theme) for easy customization. It also includes documentation, upgrades, usage support and monitored customer forum access for 1 year. I expect there will be many more commercial Carrington Build themes (from us and others) available soon. You can purchase the FaveBusiness theme in our store.
- Carrington Build (Single Site) = $299 This is for developers and consultants who are working on paid client projects. The expectation is that this cost will be passed along as part of the project cost – many WordPress professionals fall into this category. This amount is less than 1 day’s development at typical rates and is a unthinkable bargain for the end client (compared to the cost of creating multiple custom page templates, not to mention custom development of a system like Build). This is the edition to purchase if you are going to be making money by implementing Build in a website. It also includes developer documentation, upgrades, implementation support and monitored developer forum access for 1 year. You can purchase Carrington Build (Single Site) in our store.
- Carrington Build (Unlimited Sites) = $999 For developers wishing to use Carrington Build over and over again on paid client projects without incurring additional fees or costs. It also includes developer documentation, upgrades, implementation support and monitored developer forum access for 1 year. You can purchase Carrington Build (Unlimited Sites) in our store.
- Carrington Build Royalty Edition = $15 or 10%/sale This is for commercial theme and plugin developers who wish to include Carrington Build in their generally available public commercial offerings. There are no up-front costs, you simply pay the greater of $15 or 10% of the product sticker price for each distribution. When your themes and plugins do well, we both win. We support our royalty edition partners in our developer forums to make sure their integrations and offerings are the best they can be. Please contact us if you are interested in exploring this relationship.
If you aren’t sure if you need the Single/Unlimited Site Package vs. the Royalty Edition, here is are some simple tests:
- Does a client engage with you to create a website for them? Single Site or Unlimited Sites
- Do you sell themes on your website and allow your customers to pay for them and download them directly? Royalty Edition
- Do you sell a theme to a customer but then also provide consulting and development services to integrate that theme into a larger site solution for them? Single Site or Unlimited Sites
- Do you sell a hosted solution that allows some the customer to do some individual configuration but you don’t provide per-customer consulting or development services to them? Royalty Edition
We provide great support in our actively monitored forums. We have end-user forums for each of our themes and developer forums for our developer and royalty edition customers. Developer and royalty edition customers also have access to our developer documentation and reference implementations.
- Where can I receive support for Carrington Build?
By purchasing the Carrington Build Developer Edition (Single Site), you’re entitled to support in the developer forums for 1 year, for the site Build was purchased for. These forums are actively monitored and available for all developers to work together, share ideas and implementation tips, and discuss and request new features.
- Where can I receive support for the FaveBusiness Theme?
By purchasing the FaveBusiness theme you will receive access to the monitored support forums.
- What does the FaveBusiness theme include?
You receive access to download the latest version of the theme along with access to the members-only support forum and online theme documentation. In addition, you’ll receive a sample WXR (WordPress XML export) which you can use to import content and see all the various features of FaveBusiness.
- What do I get with Premium Theme Support?
If you purchase our Premium Theme Support, you will receive priority forum support (with phone support escalations) for 6 months. We will respond to your forum posts within 4 business hours and, if necessary, will get on the phone with you to make sure everything is working just as it should.
We provide “how-to” assistance, advice, suggestions and integration tips to help you get the most out of your theme.
Crowd Favorite reserves the right to change the details of this premium support offering at any time, while ensuring that a similar or greater level of support is offered.
- Can I purchase Carrington Build under a license other than the GPL?
Yes, Carrington Build may be purchased under a split license (the PHP code must remain licensed under the GPL). Please contact us with your needs for further discussion.
- What if I run a network of blogs and want to integrate Build into all of the sites?
We don’t have a set pricing structure for this use case yet. We’ve discussed needs with several people who have this situation, but I don’t that we have enough information to create a policy that will work well in a general case yet. If this sounds like something you need, get in touch and we’ll figure our something that makes sense.
- What license agreement is this released under?
We love freedom.
- Is Carrington Build compatible with WordPress Multi-site?
Yes! Carrington Build is compatible with WordPress Multi-site.
- Is it possible to integrate Carrington Build into my existing site?
Yes. When you purchase and download Carrington Build you are also provided with documentation on how to update your WordPress theme to support Carrington Build layouts. If you’d be more comfortable having a paid professional perform this configuration and testing please contact us
- Where can I try Carrington Build / Business Theme?
If you’d like to see and try Carrington Build or Carrington Business in the wild, please visit the Carrington Business demo site: http://demo.crowdfavorite.com/carrington-business/
- Can I customize Tasks Pro™/Tasks™/Tasks Jr.?
Yes. While not open source, the licenses for Tasks Pro™, Tasks™ and Tasks Jr. are liberal to allow you to modify the products to fit your individual needs. The PHP code is not obfuscated or encoded except for the code that secures the number of users allowed by your license. The main restrictions are:
- You may not re-distribute your modifications without prior approval.
- You may not add features that are already included in a higher priced product.
If you need help with customizations, we are happy to provide custom development services.
- Why aren’t I getting my daily e-mail reminders/notifications?
There are a few reasons why you may not be getting your daily e-mail reminders or e-mail notifications. This FAQ aims to run through a comprehensive list of these reasons, providing the solution for each one.
- Your server is not properly configured to send e-mail. You can check to make sure your server is properly configured to send e-mail by running the Server Check script. Tasks Pro™ and Tasks™ use the standard PHP mail() function, which you can configure in your PHP settings.
- Wrong/missing e-mail address in your Preferences. Go to your Preferences (Profile tab) and make sure that the e-mail address field properly reflects your e-mail address.
- No admin e-mail address set in your Server Settings (Tasks Pro™ only). Go to your Server Settings and enter your admin e-mail address in the proper box, then hit save.
- Enable daily e-mail reminders not checked in Server Settings (Tasks Pro™ only). Make sure that the “Enable daily e-mail reminders” box is checked in your Server Settings.
- Receive daily e-mail reminders not checked in Preferences. Make sure you have the “Receive daily e-mail task reminders” box checked in your Preferences.
- No upcoming or high priority tasks. If you have the “Don’t send empty daily e-mail reminders” box checked in your Preferences, you will only receive daily e-mail reminders when you have upcoming or high priority tasks.
- CRON job (or equivilent) not set up. Make sure you have followed the steps on the “Setting up Daily E-mail Reminders” page of the documentation. Those running on a Windows server may want to look at these instructions as well.
- Your mail server is rejecting the e-mails. I’ve seen a few cases where a corporate mail server is set up not to accept any incoming mail with a corporate “from” address and an external originating server. To identify if this is the problem, put an outside e-mail address like a Yahoo! Mail or Gmail account as your e-mail address in your Preferences.
Also, remember that you can load the email_reminders.php page in your browser at any time to send the daily reminders. You can do this to test at any time, you don’t have to wait for the scheduled job to run.
- Why does my username appear in the username field whenever I edit a user?
This is a “feature” (I consider it a bug) of your browser’s auto-fill feature. You browser is overwriting the provided username value for each user with the value it has stored for you in its auto-fill list. Disable your browser’s auto-fill feature and you will see the usernames displayed in the edit form as expected.
I wrote about this in the development blog:
- What does “unofficial support” for PostgreSQL and MS SQL Server mean?
Version 1.6 of Tasks Pro™ and 2.6 of Tasks both add unofficial support for PostgreSQL and Microsoft SQL Server databases to the existing support for MySQL databases. This additional database support is listed as “unofficial” because, while it has been released through a complete beta cycle and tested extensively in-house, it has not been tested as thoroughly as MySQL support has been.
Any PostgreSQL or Microsoft SQL Server specific bugs that are found will be given high priority and patches will be made available to customers who require them.
- Are version updates free?
Crowd Favorite software follows a fairly standard upgrade policy, offering free minor upgrade releases and charging an upgrade fee for major releases.
To date, there has been only one paid upgrade for Tasks Pro™ and Tasks (versions 1.5 and 2.5 respectively) which came approximately 1 year after the initial releases of each package. Free upgrades were offered to customers who purchased after the announce of the new versions.
The latest releases (Tasks Pro™ 1.7 and Tasks 2.7) are free upgrades to all customers who have purchased Tasks Pro™ 1.5 and Tasks 2.5 or later.
- MySQL 5 Compatibility
As all King Design products prior to Tasks Pro™ 1.6 and Tasks 2.6 were released prior to the MySQL 5 release, no King Design products prior to those releases were tested on MySQL 5. MySQL 5 introduced more strict data checking which (from reports to date) seems to be incompatible with previous versions of some King Design products.
As an interim solution, you can use MySQL 3.x or 4.x; or you can turn off the stricter data checking and tell MySQL 5 to behave more like MySQL 4:
A customer reports that changing STRICT_TRANS_TABLES to MYSQL40 in the my.ini fixed this problem for him.
- Why can’t I view completed tasks on the Home Screen?
The Hide/Show Completed Tasks drop down is not available on the Home screen.
Depending on how powerful your computer is and what browser you use, very large HTML pages can cause your computer to hang and/or your browser to crash. Because the Hide/Show setting is sticky, this can create a situation where a user cannot undo this setting and experiences continual crashes/freezes when they log in. There are ways around this (deleting cookies, loading different pages by URL), but they are not easy for all users.
Also, the ability to show completed tasks on the Home screen is most often requested by new users. Once you have several thousand tasks in the system, showing them all at once doesn’t seem like such a good idea anymore.
- How do I view completed tasks?
There are several ways to view completed tasks:
You can check the box to include completed tasks in a basic search, or you can specify a % complete in the advanced search form.
Hide/Show Completed Tasks Control
If you are looking at the tree view of a task (you’ve clicked on the task title to make it the root of the tree view), you can set the Hide/Show Completed Tasks drop down at the bottom of the page to show completed tasks.
Note: the Hide/Show Completed Tasks drop down is not available on the Home screen.
- Can I Subscribe to iCalendars in Outlook?
The current release of Outlook does not support subscribing to iCalendars as a built-in feature, however there are several plugins that will allow you to do so:
- iCal Add-in for MS Outlook (commericial) – at the time of writing, this looked like a better executed solution.
- http://remotecalendars.sourceforge.net/ (open source)
The upcoming release of Outlook does support iCalendars.
- I’m having trouble with PHP iCalendar
PHP iCalendar is not a Crowd Favorite software product, so unfortunately it is not supported by Crowd Favorite. However, this FAQ will help you walk through common trouble-shooting steps to make sure that Tasks Pro™/Tasks™ is properly creating iCalendars, that your settings are correct and that your server supports the cabailities needed by PHP iCalendar.
- Run the Server Check script (included in utilities/server_check.php or available for download here) and verify that your server passes the 401 authentication test. If your server does not pass the 401 authentication test, you need to make sure that URL Based Authentication is selected in your Server Settings.
- Check that the Tasks Pro™/Tasks™ URL and PHP iCalendar URL in your Server Settings are correct, and that there is a trailing slash at the end of the URL. The URLs should look something like this:
- Use the same username and password that you log in with.
- To make sure that the iCalendar being created by Tasks Pro™/Tasks™ is valid, try subscribing to it in another iCalendar program.
- PHP iCalendar opens iCalendars by URL using the PHP fopen() function. Make sure that this is enabled on your server by running this test script.
- If Tasks Pro™/Tasks™ is installed on a sub-domain (sub-domain.example.com), PHP iCalendar may not be able to read the Tasks™ Pro™/Tasks™ iCalendars because PHP cannot resolve the sub-domain.
- If you have Tasks Pro™/Tasks™ installed on an internal server (like http://taskserver/), make sure you have a HOSTS entry for that hostname on the server. To test this, try ‘pinging’ the server by hostname from the command line (on the server).
- Make sure there isn’t a mod_security rule that prevents the passing of a URL via GET parameter.
You may also find solutions in the many forum discussions on this topic.
- Phone Policy (Support and Pre-sales Questions)
Phone support/pre-sales inquiries is available via a micro-consulting engagement. For phone access, please purchase a General Consulting support token.
While we understand that many people prefer using the phone for support and for asking pre-sales questions, we are a small team without a dedicated sales and support staff. While this means that you get to talk directly to the “makers” that know intimately what is going on, we regret that this also means we do not offer free technical support or pre-sales support via telephone at this time.
We believe this policy works well to allows us to keep product pricing low, and still offer phone service on a per incident basis to those who need it. Thanks for your understanding.
- Is Crowd Favorite software compatible with Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger)?
Yes. As long as you have PHP and MySQL installed and the Server Check script passes, you shouldn’t have any problems running Tasks Pro™, Tasks or Tasks Jr. on Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger).
- Can you send me the data from my free trial?
We’re happy to send you the data from your free trial when you purchase your license.
To receive this data, please email us the URL of your free trial after you purchase. While we’re happy to provide your trial data for you one time as a complimentary service, the export is a manual process so any additional exports requested will require a support token.
- Can you disable my free trial?
The free trial system is automated or I wouldn’t be able to offer it. Because of this, I cannot prematurely expire any free trials. However most people asking for a free trial to be disabled fall into one of several categories – each has a pretty easy work-around.
- I’ve already purchased Tasks Pro™ and don’t want my users entering more data into the trial – In this case I recommend using the Permissions screen to disable the users in your trial. They will not be able to log in and will not receive e-mail reminders. You can also disable all e-mail reminders in the Server Settings
- I’ve already purchased Tasks and don’t want to receive any more e-mail reminders – You can disable the daily e-mail reminders from your trial in your Preferences.
- I am not interested in the product and want to stop receiving e-mail reminders – You can choose to stop receiving e-mail reminders at any time. In Tasks Pro™ you can disable them for all users in the Server Settings; or just for you in your Preferences. In Tasks, you can disable them in your Preferences.
There is no mailing list or anything to remove you from.
- My business does XYZ, would you be interested in trading services?
We’re always willing to listen to proposals and creative offers. Feel free to send one in.
- How do I purchase an upgrade?
To purchase any upgrade (Tasks to Tasks Pro™, upgrade to a new major release version, upgrade the number of users for Tasks Pro™, etc.) log in to your account, then click on the link of the upgrade you wish to purchase.
Pricing for upgrades is simple: the difference in the cost between the licenses plus $5 to cover associated transaction costs.
This is the only way to purchase an upgrade, and we only accept payment through the online service.
- Why don’t you announce release dates?
The policy of Crowd Favorite is not to announce release dates for future software releases. There are several good reasons for this:
- The unexpected happens.
It’s difficult to predict when something will pop up that needs to be addressed during the course of the release process. It could be anything from a great feature idea to a bug in the software to needing to complete a tutorial or documentation.
- Date driven releases vs. feature driven releases.
A release can either be date driven (release on a given date) or feature/quality driven (release when everything is ready). We choose the latter because it makes things better for everyone. Our customers get a better quality product with fewer upgrades to install and we spend less time tracking down and managing issues relating to different versions of the product.
- The unexpected happens.
- Where are the Printable Views?
Current releases of Tasks Pro™, and Tasks do not have views designed for printing. However, this is an often requested feature and one that is planned for a future release.
Many browsers will do a decent job using their built-in Print functionality; you may want to experiment with printing in different browsers to see which yields the best results for you.
- Why do beta releases expire?
It’s very common for beta releases of software to expire and there are several good reasons for them to do so:
- It prevents users from running pre-release code (that could have a damaging bug) for a long period of time. A new beta version (or the final version) is released before the previous version expires.
- For paid upgrades, it allows current customers to evaluate the features added in the new version but they will eventually have to purchase an upgrade (assuming they bought before the free upgrade date) when the final version is released (if they want to use the new features).
Crowd Favorite has never let a beta expire without a new beta (or final release) being available.
- What happened to the free tasks 1.x version?
The free ‘tasks 1.x’ version is still free. It has been renamed Tasks Jr., and sports a new install script and has been updated to support PHP 5.
- webcal:// is not a Registered Protocol
The webcal:// URL has become the standard URL used for subscribing to iCalendars on the web (see this site for an example). You can copy and paste the webcal:// URL into your iCalendar software to subscribe to the iCalendar.
You can also register webcal:// as a protocol in your browser’s settings and choose your iCalendar software as the helper application. Once you’ve done this, you can click the webcal:// links and they will be sent to your iCalendar software automatically.
- Can you give a demo of Tasks Pro™ to our group?
In order to keep the price of Tasks Pro™ as low as possible, we are unable to give free demonstrations or walk-throughs of Tasks Pro™. If you would like to schedule a feature walk-through or a Q & A session, you can do so with a Premium Support token.
- 401 Authentication Fails? Use URL Based Authentication.
If your server does not support 401 authentication, you can choose to use URL based authentication instead. More information on how to use this feature is in the documentation for each product:
- 401 authentication for Tasks Pro™ and Tasks on TextDrive
If you are having trouble with 401 authetication on a TextDrive account, there is an easy solution. Add the following into a .htaccess file in your Tasks Pro™/Tasks directory:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
This allows you to run PHP as a module rather than a CGI on your TextDrive account.
Note: This will likely not work if you are running on a sub-domain.
- Do Tasks Pro™ and Tasks™ work on MySQL 4.1.x?
Yes! However MySQL made a change to the way software connects to the MySQL database in version 4.1.1, so you need to account for this to allow PHP programs to work with this new change. This is documented on the MySQL web site:
The easiest solution is generally to run a simple one-line command (from the page above):
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('mypass');
some_user = your MySQL user name
some_host = your MySQL host
mypass = your MySQL user’s password
- Do Tasks Pro™ and Tasks run on FreeBSD?
Yes, as long as your server meets the standard requirements. One FreeBSD user contributed these notes:
- to enable php4:
make install clean
- to enable sessions
make install clean
- to enable mysql support
make install clean
- finally to get preg_match to work
make install clean
- to enable php4:
- Is there a list of recommended server hosts for running Tasks Pro™ and Tasks?
Yes! Tasks Pro™ and Tasks have been tested successfully by people using the following hosts:
- Austin Web Development Austin Web Development hosts the King Design web sites. If you indicate you will be running Tasks Pro™ or Tasks on your account, a small portion of the proceeds from your account help fund future development.
- TextDrive If you indicate you will be running Tasks Pro™ or Tasks on your account, a small portion of the proceeds from your account help fund future development.
- Featured Host
- Can I have a free trial of a beta release?
Sorry, though beta releases are available to all customers, free trials and online demos of beta releases are not available.
There are several reasons for this:
- Beta releases may contain incomplete features and bugs that would interfere with your ability to test the software.
- Features change from beta release to beta release; if your trial was changing on you every week you might not like it very much.
- Languages other than English are generally not available for beta releases.
- Will Tasks Pro™/Tasks run on my server?
Will Tasks Pro™/Tasks run on my server?
Download the Server Check script, then upload it to your server and open it in your browser.
The output should look like this.
If all the tests pass, your server’s PHP configuration should work just fine. If the 401 authentication test fails, you can use URL based authentication instead.
- Are Tasks Pro and Tasks software that I download or a service I subscribe to?
Tasks Pro™ and Tasks are software packages you purchase, download and install on the computer (web server) of your choice.
We do offer a hosted service (Use Tasks) for those who would prefer to subscribe to a service rather than managing their own installation.
- Where are my download instructions?
Download instructions are sent when orders are processed. All orders are processed within 48 hours and most are processed within an hour of the time they are received (especially if they are placed during business hours).
There are several factors that can delay your receipt of your download instructions, including internet congestion and busy e-mail servers. Your patience is appreciated.
Also, please make sure that your spam filters or anti-spam accounts have not inadvertantly grabbed your download instructions. The download e-mail will be coming from one of the following return addresses.
- Tasks Pro™ – support at taskspro dot com
- Tasks – support at crowdfavorite.com
- Use Tasks – support at usetasks dot com
- Where do I download from?
- Can I convert my Tasks or Tasks Jr. data to Tasks Pro?
Yes! The Tasks Pro™ install script includes an option to upgrade your Tasks or Tasks Jr. data to Tasks Pro™.
- Can I convert my data from Tasks Jr. to Tasks?
Yes! The Tasks install script includes an option to upgrade your Tasks Jr. data to Tasks.
- How do I retrieve my license key?
Browse to your account dashboard to view your license key and download your available product.
- What are Carrington Build Modules?
Similar to a WordPress widget, but a bit more flexible and powerful when building a custom page layout. Some of the included Modules include the loop Module, heading Module, and hero Module. Modules can be built by anyone, please see the sample template included in your Carrington Build download.
- Do Carrington Build pages support revisions?
Unfortunately no. The custom fields used to store Carrington Build data are not included in the content saved during a revision. If you make a change to a Build page it is not reversible.
- Does FaveBusiness support WordPress Menus?
Yes, there are three defined Menu locations available in the theme (header, footer, and auxiliary header).
- Can I make my own Build Modules?
Absolutely. We created Build to be extremely flexible for new modules and features, after all we are our own customer here. In fact, it’s easy to create a new Module, think widgets – with a little extra functionality. See the included sample Module to get started.
- Can Build be used for post types other than pages?
Yes, the list of allowed post types is a simple array that is passed through a filter, so it can be customized on a per-site or per-theme basis.
- How is Carrington Build data stored?
The data is stored efficiently in the post’s custom fields so that it “just works” which should make the implementation pretty future-proof.
- If the data is stored in custom fields, does this break search?
No, each module implements a way to provide a “text value”. These are put together and stored in the normal post content so that things like search and excerpts work just as expected.
- Does Carrington Build upgrade well?
We have tested from WordPress 2.8 to 2.9 and 3.0 to 3.1 and 3.2.1 to 3.3. We resolved any known issues with upgrading from Carrington 1.0 to the latest version of Carrington Build 1.2. We can’t tell the future, but since it uses standard WordPress data structure and hooks it should be quite forward compatible.
- Is Carrington Build internationalized?
- Is FaveBusiness internationalized?
- Enabling the News Section in FaveBusiness Theme
- Make sure you have installed and activated the FaveBusiness theme, select “Theme Settings” from the dashboard
- Select “Yes” from the dropdown for Enable News Section
- (Not Required) Enter a title for your News Title
- Save your changes
- How do I know what template is used where?
The easiest way to know what template is being used is to enable the CFCT_DEBUG setting. With this enabled, each file will show its path. You can then see which file would need to be copied to your child theme and edited as desired.
This setting is in the functions.php file around line 25:
Change this to:
to enable template paths to be shown. When you’re done, simply set it back again.