Posted 3 years ago by Jorunn Aasen
Working as a remote team has its challenges. Fortunately, there’s an app for just about everything. This November, we’re sharing the apps we’re most thankful for. Some help us to communicate, others to do our jobs faster, and some are just for fun.
- Slack - It’s how we communicate. All day, every day. Literally.
- Dropbox - File storage and sharing made easy.
- Shush - Quickly mute and unmute your microphone.
- AudioNote - Audio recording synchronized with note taking.
- GeniusScan - Who needs a scanner when you have a phone?
- LastPass or 1Password - Because passwords are a pain in the tush.
- CloudApp - For easy screenshots and screen recordings.
- Screenhero - Screen sharing with multiple mouse cursors.
- Google - For everything. Drive is great for multiple users, and remote teams like ours.
Design team favorites
- WhatTheFont - If you ever need to know the font, this can help.
- Invision - Interactive digital mockups! Yeah!
- Adobe Capture - Vectorize graphics from your phone.
- Avocode - For transitioning digital designs to development.
- Lookback - User testing. Now in real time!
Technology team favorites
- Hammerspoon - A slightly more powerful OSX equivalent of Autohotkey.
- PIA VPN - Provides an anonymous IP to protect your privacy.
- BBEdit - An HTML text editor. To quote the website, “It doesn’t suck.”
Making life easier
- Wunderlist - A wildly advanced to-do list.
- GasBuddy - Gas prices on-the-go.
- Smarthings - Automate your home from your phone.
- Plex - Media mission control for all your devices.
- Uber - A rideshare/taxi service.
- Yelp - Read the reviews before trying a new restaurant or service.
- Google Maps or Waze - Beat the traffic.
- Google Translate - Surprise (or confuse) your friends with messages in foreign languages.
Just for fun
- MapMyRun - Find out how far you ran, or map your route ahead of time.
- 10K Runner - Get a personal coach for a “couch to 10K” run.
- Letgo - Easier than Craigslist!
- Stitcher - Queue up and listen to all your favorite podcasts. This is how we listen to one of our favorites, Essential Communications.
- Audible - A road trip must-have.
- JazzRadio - If you like jazz music, you’ll like this.
- Reverb - Buy and sell musical instruments and equipment. (Speaking of music, we also love DM1, iRealPro, and Anytune Pro+.)
- YouTube Kids - It’s a lifesaver for parents.
- At-Bat - It’s Major League Baseball, and it’s well designed—the perfect way to keep your eye on the Cubs next season. 😉
- Duolingo - Learn a new language. It’s fun and free!
- Telegram - A new era of messaging, cross platform, on any device.
- Spotify - We love our tunes!
- Shazam - Discover new music and TV.
- Pocket - If you don’t have time to read it now, pocket it for later.
- Storm - The most advanced severe weather app available.
- SkyGuide - Hold it to the sky and watch constellations appear before your eyes.
- FlightAware - Know the status of your flight.
- Lowes - Tells you right where to find stuff in an aisle, stock quantities, store map, etc.
- WhatsApp - The best app for international communication. It’s like texting for free!
If you couldn’t tell, we’re a team that loves trying (and sharing!) new tools. Are there any we missed? Which apps are you most grateful for?
Who is Crowd Favorite?
Crowd Favorite builds high-end digital solutions for medium- and enterprise-level companies around the world, with particular expertise in digital design, web development, mobile development, and systems integration. Past clients include Walmart, Sony, Yahoo, Miramax, National Geographic, Nike, BMW, Microsoft, and many others.