Posted 10 years ago by Crowd Favorite
We’ve all been there, going through writer's block. You know you have to write something, but you have no idea what the heck to write about. Sound familiar? We know the feeling!
Lately, we’ve been creating a new content strategy to go along with our redesigned website and brand positioning. We want to make sure our blog posts, articles, social media posts, etc. align with our company goals and voice. We also want each person on our team to be involved in writing and sharing content since we all have different backgrounds and expertise. This presents a challenge since writing comes easy to some and intimidates others. To get our creative juices going, we created this super useful list of questions to reference when we’re grasping for creative content.
Exercise to Overcome Writer's Block
In this example, we’ll pretend that I want to write something about marketing plans, but I can’t figure out what to say. Here are some questions I might ask myself to spark inspiration:
- What is your stance or belief about marketing plans?
- How should they be created, and how shouldn’t they be created?
- What are some common misconceptions about marketing plans?
- What’s an example of a marketing plan done properly? How about improperly? Why?
- Where have you succeeded or failed with creating marketing plans, and why?
- Can you draw parallels to a metaphor or something/someone in a completely unrelated field?
- What are the basic steps to creating a marketing plan?
- What tips would you have for someone working on a marketing plan?
- Who’s the best in the world at creating marketing plans, and what do they believe about it?
- How are marketing plans changing over time?
- What’s something you can test or survey about marketing plans?
- What do most people not know about marketing plans?
- Why are marketing plans so important?
- How can you learn more about marketing plans?
- What other resources can you direct people to?
- What are the pros and cons about marketing plans?
- How would you explain them to someone who knows nothing about marketing plans?
- What separates the beginners from the experts?
- What are some unanswered questions about marketing plans or questions that you’ve been wondering?
- What are some statistics about marketing plans?
- What are some great quotes about marketing plans?
- What’s an amusing or interesting anecdote or story about marketing plans?
Next time you’re fresh out of ideas on what to write about or just trying to figure out how to articulate your thoughts, whip out this list and kick that writer’s block to the curb! And remember, great content is always part of a strong, coherent digital strategy. At Crowd Favorite we bring together the best minds in business, marketing, development, and design to create excellent digital experiences. If you have a digital project in mind, now’s a great time to reach out!
Former Communication Director
* This article was originally published on Forty.co. Forty is now Crowd Favorite. The same team and processes that made Forty synonymous with high-quality UX design and content strategy have been extended through integration with Crowd Favorite.